This week, all eyes will be on Toronto for one of North America’s premiere fashion events – World MasterCard Fashion Week. However, when it comes to our style, 60% of Canadians say that we are only moderately stylish. According to a recent survey by MasterCard Canada, only 6% of those surveyed scored Canadians as very stylish, and one third (30%) say Canadians are not stylish at all.
The survey also found that:
- Though Canadians see themselves as only moderately stylish, most of us still think we’re more stylish than our American neighbours
- 36% scored Canadians as more stylish
- 26% scored Americans as more stylish
- 38% unsure if Canada is more stylish than the US
- Canadians think that style varies by city
- 40% find Montreal to be the most stylish city
- 22% find Toronto to be most stylish city
- 14% find Vancouver to be most stylish city
- 2% find Ottawa to be most stylish city
- 13% unsure of which Canadian city most stylish
- Canadians believe that there are multiple factors that affect our style
- 44% think culture contributes to style
- 13% think attitude contributes to style
- 12% think creativity is important to style
The survey found that iconic Canadian brands like The Hudson’s Bay and Roots were picked as the brands that best define Canadian style with Le Chateau, Lululemon and Canada Goose to follow. Ryan Gosling, Justin Trudeau and Ryan Reynolds were ranked top 3 most stylish Canadian men and Shania Twain, Rachel McAdams and Kim Cattrall as the top 3 most stylish Canadian women.
- 8% ranked Justin Beiber as most stylish Canadian male
- 4% ranked Carly Rae Jepsen as most stylish Canadian female
- 44% unsure of most stylish Canadian female
- 35% unsure of most stylish Canadian male
Think you’re lacking in the style department? Check out these local Toronto retailers taking part in MasterCard’s Stylicity program.